Money Is Alive and Well
Jeff Vander Clute, February 2020
You may know that money is more than the notes, coins, and digital entries that human civilization is built upon. Perhaps you sense that money is much more than the standard definition of it, which is to say a store of value, a unit of account, and a medium of exchange. Did you know that money is the subtle, benevolent connective tissue of life?
What follows is a distillation of many of the insights I have gleaned from two and a half years of Consciousness of Money retreats, workshops, and courses that have explored the deeper nature and purpose of money, and how we can partner with it more effectively to create positive changes in the world.
A Distillation of Key Learnings
1. Flows of money are the subtle connective tissue of life, and money itself is alive.
2. Money facilitates the coordination of increasingly complex activities among individuals.
3. Money is an instrument of a higher level of mind (cf. Sri Aurobindo’s Supramind) that is creating a more evolved version of humanity through the activities of humanity in its present state.
A. What is being created is a conscious collective out of billions of humans relating to one another through increasingly sophisticated and ephemeral forms of exchange.
- From Buckminster Fuller: Ephemeralization is the ability of technological advancement to do “more and more with less and less until eventually you can do everything with nothing.”
- Bruce Lipton explains in detail how higher-order life forms out of cooperating clusters of approximately 10 billion individuals, and he concludes that humanity is becoming a superorganism. It is indeed interesting that the global population of humans is approaching the 10 billion number, and that we are concentrating in cities, which are like collective neural cortexes with different strengths and capacities.
B. To begin to comprehend the emotional, spiritual, and intellectual power of this emerging collective, or superorganism, imagine billions of highly conscious humans working together coherently and seamlessly. Each ordinary individual has access to shared cognitive, emotional, and intuitive resources that would make them a super genius by today’s standards.
- Aside: To the extent that artificial general intelligence emerges, it will not overtake the coherent superorganism of humanity. Rather, the superorganism of humanity and the AI technologies will work together to advance science, address environmental challenges, etc.
C. Coming back to money, it is important to recognize that humans did not invent what money really is. Instead, money as such is working through humans, preparing us and weaving us by degrees into a global sentience, similar to Pierre Teilhard de Chardin’s theory of the noosphere.
D. The cortexes of the superorganism are being connected and trained, so to speak, through the money-mediated interactions amongst the individuals. This means that money is doing much more than we think it is. It is working at a higher level than we have most likely imagined. Even the apparent failures of our financial systems are part of a learning process that is shaping the emerging superorganism of humanity. The species is learning and becoming more conscious even as many individuals don’t seem to be highly conscious yet. However, once many individuals have seen the pattern of what is actually going on, the awakening of consciousness will accelerate exponentially. And when that happens we will be immensely grateful toward money.
4. Money is an evolutionary force, and the forms of money are also evolving.
A. The level at which society has been engaging with money is, by and large, 2.8 to 3.4 layers removed from what money really is (the living connective tissue of life). This means that we have been working with very limited and distorted forms of money, and for many people these forms of money are not working well.
B. The most progressive philanthropy is still 1.6 layers removed from what money really is.
C. Distributed and decentralized Blockchain technology is 1.4 layers removed from what money really is and the Sharing Economy is 0.9 layers removed. These are pointers to future economic systems that will work with money still more directly. There is unprecedented financial innovation yet to come as we lean into the question of how we can work with money as such. To work with money as such requires using our minds, our hearts, and our intuitive or spiritual gifts. In other words, this is about the practical application of consciousness. Here are a few more calibrations that suggest the nature of future economies:
- Money is an energy. (0.3 layers removed)
- Money is a creative force for good. (Less than zero layers removed, so this is a causal understanding.)
- Money is alive and it has consciousness. (All of the following calibrations are also less than zero, i.e. causal.)
- Money is an instrument of a higher level of being.
- Money facilitates evolution, and not just for humans.
- Money has an agenda. It supports the flowering of living systems. Therefore it is not neutral.
- Flows of money are the subtle and often-invisible connective tissue of life, and money itself is alive and well.
D. The more closely we can work with money as it really is, the more agency and power we will have, the more benefit we will contribute to the world, and the more aligned we will be with the evolution of life from single-cell organisms to collaborating multicellular organisms to awakened, co-creative collectives or superorganisms. Our true power will come from this alignment with the organizing principles of life, and a healthy partnership with money is how we will use this power to create a vastly more conscious human civilization.
5. Money is a powerful teacher and an awakener of collective consciousness, wisdom, and capacity. When we look beyond the distorted understandings that have been present in our cultures, we can see money as a force that loves us and that is helping us to become a more mature and able species. With this awareness we can partner ever more skillfully with money to bring forth a flourishing and inclusively prosperous world. Money is sacred.
We have two Consciousness of Money retreats scheduled for 2020: April 2-5 on the Sunshine Coast of Australia and June 13-16 in Napa Valley, California. Please visit TheConsciousnessOfMoney.com to learn more and register.